Clonsilla & Callaghan Bridge

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoJSON-LogoGeoRSS-Logo
Clonsilla

loading map - please wait...

Clonsilla 53.383064, -6.422791

The suburbs of Dublin have reached out beyond the village of Clonsilla, but it still manages to retain most of its rural charm.  The village and its hinterland have many places of historical interest waiting to be explored. The nearby Luttrelstown Castle was built in 1200 by Geoffrey Luttrell and the family occupied the castle for six hundred years. In 1800 it was sold to Luke White for £180,000, but since then it has had many owners, including the members of the Guinness family. Over the years it has entertained the rich and famous alike. Queen Victoria visited Luttrellstown on two occasions; an obelisk in the grounds commemorates her visit.  Saint Mary’s Church, at the top of the village, was built in 1830, replacing an earlier church of 1550. The stained-glass window by the artist Evie Hone depicting Saint Fiacre was installed in 1937. Interred in the church grounds is the body
of Most Rev. Patrick Fitzsimons, Archbishop of Dublin, who died in 1769. Shortly after his death it became customary for the coffins of deceased Catholics to be placed on his gravestone while prayers were recited before burial.

Dublin Bus Information

Irish Rail Information