Broome Bridge

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoJSON-LogoGeoRSS-Logo
Broome Bridge

loading map - please wait...

Broome Bridge 53.372800, -6.300000

History
Work began on the Dublin sections of the Royal Canal in 1789 and continued through the 1790s with many delays caused by inaccurate surveys. The Broadstone Branch was not completed until 1801. Foster Aqueduct, a well known city landmark on this branch, was demolished in 1951. There was a hotel at Broadstone Harbour, part of which became No. 1 Phibsborough Road.

Drinking water was drawn from the harbour for the nearby City Basin until the 1860s. The Royal Canal Company reneged on its obligation to build docks at the junction with the River Liffey. Spencer Dock, which opened in 1873, was eventually constructed by the Midland Great Western Railway Company which had bought the canal in 1845. Hamilton Bridge (formerly Broome Bridge) is notable for its connection with the Dublin-born mathematician and Astronomer Royal, Sir William Rowan Hamilton. In 1958 Dublin Corporation approved the renaming of the bridge in honour of Sir William Rowan Hamilton, but the original name is still often used.

Train times from Broome Bridge train Station.

Green Line Luas from Broome Bridge.

Dublin Bus – 120 towards City Centre