Ashtown & 10th Lock

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoJSON-LogoGeoRSS-Logo
Ashtown & 10th Lock

loading map - please wait...

Ashtown & 10th Lock 53.375296, -6.332274

You are now at Ashtown, Longford Bridge and the 10th Lock on the Royal Canal

Physical Web

Physical Web

There is an attractive tree lined stretch of canal between the 10th and 11th Locks and it is soon followed by a maze of new motorway bridges over the M510, and the famous M50 aqueduct, where the canal is carried over the M50 road.

Ashtown (IrishBaile an Áisigh) is a townland in the civil parish of Castleknock in the postal district of Dublin 15. It is bounded roughly by the townlands of Castleknock to the west, Cabra to the east and by Finglas to the north-east and Dunsink to the north-west. It is situated by the Royal Canal, near the N3 Navan Road. The Phoenix Park is also nearby, its Ashtown Gate entrance about 500 metres south of the railway station. The “Belleville” and “Paddocks” housing estates lie within the territory of Dublin City Council; the remainder of the townland’s 278 acres are within Fingal.

Just beyond Longford Bridge is Ashtown Mill, the third mill on this section of canal.   Unlike the two other mills, this one was set much further back from the canal. Nevertheless it did use canal water as an energy source and some parts of the mill-race are still visible from the tow-path. The water was returned to the canal through a small arch on the city side of Longford Bridge. The 1837 ordnance survey map of the area, describes it as a linseed oil mill, but over the years it was used for many purposes, including a candle factory and a polish factory. The clock which was on the front of the mill is said to have come from Newgate Jail in Green Street in Dublin.

The DublinSligo railway passes through the area and it is served by Ashtown railway station, which opened on 1 August 1902.  Stopping at Ashtown is the Western Commuter service, which runs frequently between Maynooth and Pearse Station in the city centre. The area is also served by the 120 Dublin Bus route, which terminates at the railway station, and by the 37, 38, 39 and 70 routes, which pass nearby on the Navan Road.

Irish Rail Information

Dublin Bus Information

Longford Bridge is named after Lord Longford who was a director of the Royal Canal Company from 1789-1813 whom invested £1000 in the company.  More information about Longford Bridge here!

10th Lock is a double lock and has a rise of 18ft or 5 metres.  More information about the 10th Lock here!

More information about Ashtown House here!