13th Lock – Royal Canal

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoJSON-LogoGeoRSS-Logo
13th Lock - Royal Canal

loading map - please wait...

13th Lock - Royal Canal 53.373946, -6.529425

13th Lock, Deey Bridge, had the reputation among the old Royal Canal boatmen of being haunted and they would never moor there for the night. It was at Carton House that the Duke of Leinster lived who had insisted on the deviation of the canal. The original Carton House was remodelled by Richard Cassels in 1739/47 for the 19th Earl of Kildare in splendid style. After surmounting great difficulties the canal was eventually opened to Kilcock in 1796. Maynooth Harbour, although laid out at this time, was not actually completed until some years later.